SPECIALIZING IN SCHOOLING

Senior To Study Physcial Therapy

Anna Adams, Staff Writer / Editor

From trade school to private university, there are many options to continue education after high school. Senior Carissa Ledesma will be continuing her education at the University of the Incarnate Word, the largest private catholic university in the state. 

“It felt amazing to be accepted into my first choice school, especially because they showed so much interest in me from the beginning,” Ledesma said, who is constantly working to improve her study habits and is already planning her schedule for her first semester of dorm life. Along with leadership experience gleaned from extracurricular activities and working, it seems that her diligence is really paying off.

Ledesma holds up her scholarship.

“I have received the Dean’s Scholarship, awarding me $12,000 each year as I pursue my degree,” Ledesma said. Already working two jobs, she has also done research on internships and scholarships in order to financially prepare for university.

“My family and I are also avid sports fans,” Ledesma said, whose parents work in the medical field. Having grown up in an environment involved with medical care and sports, Ledesma has a fair idea of her dream career. She plans to study pre-physical therapy to begin pursuing a career in sports medicine.

Ledesma checks out the campus.

“I want to become a physical therapist, and later on become a sports clinical therapist,” Ledesma said, whose educational journey does not end at the University of the Incarnate Word. Aiming to land a specialized position in physical therapy, Ledesma plans to move on to studying at the University of the Incarnate Word School of Physical Therapy after earning a Bachelor’s degree of science  in pre-physical therapy. 

Planning ahead can be useful, and Panthers like Ledesma already have a clear idea of what they want. When they know what they want, they plan to make their dreams possible. Let’s go, Ledesma!