MIND YOUR MIND

New Social Worker Promotes Mental Health

Anna Adams, Staff Writer/ Editor

Do you know Rachel Katzman? A Licensed Master Social Worker (LSMW) with a Master’s Degree in Social Work, she is joining our no-longer-only social worker Emily Perez in advocating for mental health at Medina Valley.

“I like to say that I am an ally or advocate for students,” Katzman said, whose aim is to aid in normalizing the discussion of mental health. “Even though mental health can be intimidating, it is just as important as physical health.”

In high school, Katzman was a cheerleader and part of the marching band; however, she noticed that her high school did not have a social worker. She moved to San Antonio in 2018 to attend the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), where she got her Master’s Degree in Social Work, but she also has an undergraduate degree in Maritime Studies from the Texas A&M University at Galveston. Before coming to share her knowledge of psychoeducation at Medina Valley, she spent two years in Ecuador as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Now, she is working for her clinical license.

“I’m interested in continuing to learn about ways I can support people and their journey with their mental health,” Katzman said. Her other interests include hiking, camping, cooking, working out, and spending time with her dog; she also has the ability to fall asleep anywhere.

“It’s [okay] to fall apart sometimes. Tacos fall apart and we still love them,” Katzman said. She hopes to provide a safe space for students to speak about their mental health and looks forward to a great school year. Go, Panthers!