UPSTART IN CULINARY ARTS

New Teacher Starts Career In Cooking

Anna Adams, Staff Writer/ Editor

Have you met Alexis Galvan? Fresh out of Texas State University with a teacher certification in Family and Consumer Sciences, this will be her first school year as a teacher. She will be teaching Introduction to Culinary Arts, coaching basketball, and coaching softball.

“I have a lot to look forward to,” Galvan said. Grateful for the help and encouragement from staff members and students, she is currently enjoying the school year and excited for the upcoming basketball season, which will be her first experience in coaching. 

“I have been cooking and sewing my entire life,” Galvan said, who did not have the opportunity to take courses teaching these skills at her dual enrollment high school. “Despite that, I understood the importance of learning these things… [and now,] I get the opportunity to teach students real, applicable life skills to help them succeed and become functioning and independent adults.”

Galvan is from Mercedes, TX, which is in the Rio Grande Valley region. Her interests include sports, traveling, sewing, watching movies, and spending time with her family; she can also play the guitar and piano.

“I always had a knack for teaching,” Galvan said. She grew up surrounded by teachers: her mother, aunts, and uncles were teachers during her childhood; her friends and her brother became teachers as she reached adulthood. Galvan was active in high school, participating in many extracurricular activities like band, sports, National Honor Society, Student Council, and the student government. After graduating from college in May 2021 with a teacher certification and the need for a job, she came to Medina Valley.

“Walking onto campus for my interview, I had a gut feeling that this is where I am supposed to be,” Galvan said. “ I couldn’t imagine starting my career anywhere else.” Let’s give her a warm welcome by continuing to uphold our culture of excellence!