BOOKWORM FOR THE LONG TERM

Ushering In A New ELA Teacher

BOOKWORM FOR THE LONG TERM

Anna Adams, Staff Writer/ Editor

Self-proclaimed “small town girl” Ashley Bertie, who is teaching English I and English II this year, has come to teach at our small town school. 

Bertie grew up in a small town near San Marcos and went to Texas State University. Shy and anxious during her childhood, she “finally [began] to break out of [her] shell” in college. Literature may be her passion, but arts and crafts are not far behind with her hobbies ranging from repurposing items bought from thrift shops to painting.  Bertie also collects college pennants with half of them currently displayed in her classroom to “encourage higher education.” She has lived in Castroville for the past three years and has three children, a dog, and a turtle.

With ten years of teaching under her belt, Bertie is no stranger to teenagers. Her passion for teaching began when she was in high school.

“I went into teaching because when I was a junior in high school, I had a teacher that greatly influenced my life,” Bertie said. “She was my friend, mentor, cheerleader, and coach when I needed guidance in my life. I hope to influence just one person during my career the way she influenced me.”

Thus began her career, starting at Stevens High School in San Antonio. With five years spent teaching middle schoolers, she is ready to return to a high school. This will be her second year working in the Medina Valley district.

“Writing had always been an outlet for me to express myself, and reading was an escape,” Bertie, an advocate for literacy, said. “Written word can reach the minds of people from all over the world and that is a powerful tool at everyone’s fingertips.” 

She hopes to show her students the importance of life-long skills associated with critical reading and writing, as well as the unique perspectives on the world that literature has to offer. 

Bertie says that she cannot believe how quickly the year is already passing by. Quick, let’s give her a warm welcome to Medina Valley!