Speech & De-Back

A new and exciting year for Speech & Debate

PC: MVHS Press

The 2020-2021 team sweeping district

Aya Kasim, Editor-in-Chief

After a strange season last year, Speech & Debate is gladly welcoming back some normalcy for the 2021-2022 season. Although there are changes implemented to the program and in-person tournaments are still up in the air, all members are in class and ready to jump back in. Speech & Debate started off the season with their first tournament on Saturday, September 25.

“I joined Speech & Debate at first just because I liked to argue and it would look good on my resume, but after the first tournament, I’m kind of obsessed now,” freshman Makenzie Duke said. “I feel like I learned a lot and overall, I’m very happy with how we did.”

This year, Speech & Debate is split into two classes: a 1st period class for veterans of the program, and a 9th period class for new members. Both classes teach and guide students through the various Speech & Debate events, ranging from Prose/Poetry Interpretation to the Lincoln Douglas Debate. 

“Speech & Debate made me more confident and brought me out of my shell,” senior and Speech & Debate Co-President, Sierra Crista said. “It has taught me how to interact with people, speak, and research hard topics. Debate gave me a voice.”

With a new year of possibilities ahead of the team, each member has their own goals relating to their event, but for the team overall, there is one: becoming District Champions.

“My goal is always the same, win a district championship–everything on top of that is a bonus,” debate coach Dustin Hurley said. “This year, we have a lot of new people, but if we can show these young folk the right way to do things, we can win a district championship. This year is more about the future of the debate team than the present.”

Want to join Speech & Debate and contribute to the future of this program? Contact Mr. Hurley or Ms. Gregory at [email protected] and [email protected]