The Last Chapter

One last time signing in as a member of The Prowler.

Janelle De Jesus, Feature Editor

You are never really ready to say goodbye to something, that is a proven fact that I entirely came up with at this exact moment in time. Though I do not know the psychology or sociology behind saying goodbye to things, I know that I am human. I also know that human nature hates change, and since I am a human, I guess that I am expected to hate change too. Change is hard, definitely. And as someone who has a very special place in their heart for The Prowler, and especially Caitlin Schmidt, saying goodbye seems close to impossible.
Two years ago, I joined the staff, and just this past year I was lucky enough to be named feature and editorial editor. Through the staff I have gained many opportunities outside of just the program. I am thankful to have been a part of something bigger than myself . With this program my horizon grew, and suddenly I had more college offers than ever before. I was able to achieve many scholarships and got accepted into almost all of the colleges I applied for. In fact, I will continue on my path of being a journalist at The University of the Incarnate Word this fall. I am excited to step out of my comfort zone and expand. 

Quite frankly, I do not know what comes next for me. You can plan interviews and college plans, but you can not plan every aspect of your life. Four years ago when I hobbled through these halls, I never expected that this would be the end. I spent half of my junior year and the entirety of my senior year behind a computer screen. I spent years waiting for my big senior walk, and I prayed I would finally get the chance to shout ‘seniors seniors go for it’ at a pep rally. Nonetheless, none of that happened. Despite that, this pandemic did not ruin my senior year. Somehow I was getting closer than ever to my friends. I became more patient and gracious with the world around me. Overall this big change was eye opening. Though no one wants to spend their senior year behind a computer screen, I would not have had it any other way. 

I never thought this day would come, but as this article comes to a close, I think it is time I stop stalling and say what I really need to say. When I started this journey as a freshman, I had no idea the importance of having people around you. I had grown used to doing things on my own. But somewhere along the line I made great friends and grew outstanding relationships with my teachers. I began to understand that it is better to have someone in your corner. I also stepped outside of my comfort zone. I became my own person who fought for what she wanted and never stopped striving for her personal goals. These last four years have changed me, for the better. While I do not have every friend I started this journey with, I am happy to say that I am content. Through hours of band practice, early mornings with the debate team, a million deadlines with newspaper, and a lot of time and effort in other clubs, I can say that I did it. I put my best foot forward time after time and I am ready to move to the other side. 

In all honesty, I will never quite be ready for what the road ahead has planned for me. But, I know that whatever happens I will go in head first without doubting myself. A big thank you to every teacher who ever believed in me and helped me reach this point, and an even bigger thank you to every friend who ever stuck by my side. Years from now high school will be a cluster of memories to me. I will NOT remember the stress, merely the people and things that changed my life. And on that note, I just want to give anyone who may be reading this a piece of advice that my dear friend Aya Kasim once read to me from a John Green novel. 

“I go to seek the great perhaps.” 

That is exactly what I plan on doing. Medina Valley, thank you, I am finally ready to move on to bigger and better things. As this last chapter closes, I can finally say:

Feature editor Janelle De Jesus, signing off.