Admin Spotlight

Learning about Mrs.Churchill and How she got to where she is

Nadine Zenner, Staff Writer

If you do not know Mrs.Churchill, she is a Vice Principal at Medina Valley High School for students with a last name ending in Ro-Z. She, alongside the other vice principals and the principal, has helped try to make this year the best it can be. 

For her high school years, Churchill was home schooled. She attended college at age 26 after she had been a special education teacher’s aide. 

She attended South Texas College and earned an associate’s degree in special education. From there, Mrs.Churchill attended the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley earning her bachelor’s degree,’ majoring in English and minoring in Spanish. She then earned her master’s degree in creative writing attending National University. After that, she went to St. Thomas University and got her master’s degree in Administration and Special education. 

Churchill started off as a freshman English teacher at Jimmy Carter High School in La Joya, Texas. She worked there for 17 years as either a paraprofessional, network technician, or teacher. She taught dual credit and regular English, 7th-12th grade English including ESL, and reclassified freshman. Before becoming a Vice Principal at MVHS, she was an assistant principal at Pearsall ISD. 

Her favorite thing about being an admin is interacting with the students. 

“Building relationships with students and helping them see their self-worth is my favorite part about being an admin,”Churchill said.

There are a few things she said she wishes students knew.

“You can do anything you put your mind to,” Churchill said. “Don’t ever let anyone think you aren’t as good as them, or that you are unable to do something. If you want it, you can achieve it. Also, more than likely that girlfriend or boyfriend you have, will not be your boyfriend or girlfriend five years from now, so don’t make bad choices to please them.” 

She also had advice for graduating seniors. 

“Don’t let anything get in the way of college, trade school, the military or whatever it is that you plan on doing,” Churchill said. “There will be a lot of temptations that could lead you astray. Stay strong and keep the end goal in mind.”