SMALL TOWN, BIG LEGACY

Athletes Compete In District, Area, State

The softball team competes at regional quarterfinals.

Anna Adams, Staff Writer

Track

On Friday, May 7, eight students traveled to Austin to compete in the statewide track meet. 

Madalyn Aldridge (9), Haylee Hurtado (10), Jahnae McCain (11), and Kaylyn Persyn (11) (with Elia Evans (10) and Ellie Austin (11) serving as alternates) account for the first relay team to go to state since 1995. Racing the 4×200-meter relay, they placed 8 overall.

(Left to right) Aldridge, Persyn, Hurtado, Austin (alternate), McCain, and Evans (alternate) ran in the first state-bound relay team since 1995.

“It was fun,” sophomore Haylee Hurtado said. “The send-off was very memorable.” Hurtado, a relay team member, also individually placed 8 in the 100-meter hurdle race and reset the school record.

Baseball

On May 7, the varsity team claimed the Bi-District Champion title after winning against Edison 11-0. Tyler Mangum, JJ Marty, and Jared Laque played exceptionally.

Varsity Baseball

On May 14, baseball season came to a halt after a loss to Cedar Park in an area game. However, the team left with dignity, with the following players earning the respective titles of :

District Newcomer of the Year: Whitt Joyce

1st Team All-District Pitchers: Jared Laque and JJ Marty

1st Team All-District Outfield: Bobby Peterson and Tanner Haby

1st Team All-District First Base: Jake Herb

2nd Team All-District Outfield: Tyler Mangum

2nd team All-District Shortstop: Thomas Pardo

2nd Team All-District Pitcher: Javi Gonzalez

2nd Team All-District DH: Ethan Garza

Honorable Mention All-District Outfield: Britan Griggs

The following players were selected for the Academic All-District team: Laque, Mangum, Haby, Marty, Griggs, Joyce, Peterson, Herb, Tate Holzhaus, and Aiden Patterson. 

Laque and Mangum got into First Team Academic All-State; Griggs got into Second Team Academic All-State.

Softball

On May 7, the ladies claimed their title as Area Champions after a hard-earned victory against Glenn by 2-1; Trista Miller and Elena Gonzales played exceptionally.

Varsity Softball

On May 14, the Panthers advanced to Round 3 of the Regional Quarter finals. They lost by a hair against Leander by 4-3. During the second game, the Panthers gave Leander a taste of its own medicine, winning by 1-0. Unfortunately, the third game was lost to Leander, losing the series by 1-2. Nevertheless, Medina Valley closed out its season with an epic record of 28-12. Remarkable players include Miller, Gabrielle Cancino, Madison Sotelo, Madison Guerrero, and Katie Burris. The team left with players selected for the following titles:

Pitcher of the Year – Trista Miller

Co-Defensive Player of the Year – Madison Guerrero

1st Team All-District: Katie Burris, Gabrielle Cancino, Kaylee Upton

2nd Team All-District: Haedyn Renslow, McKenzee Kennedy

Honorable Mention: Aubrey Dominguez, Elena Gonzales

Academic All-District:

Katie Burris, Trista Miller, Aliana Salazar, Gabrielle Cancino, Morgan Gibson, Madison Guerrero, Haedyn Renslow, Madison Sotelo, Lauren Hendrickson, Elyssia Reyna.

“Competing at regionals was an honor,” Miller said. “Even though we lost the series… we beat the #1 team in the nation.”

The Panthers have battled relentlessly, proving themselves worthy of their titles. Now, it is time for them to take a break before establishing their next legacy. Great job this year, Panthers!