Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

Grab your cowboy boots, it’s 2008 and Taylor is making country music.

Janelle De Jesus, Feature Editor

On April 9, Grammy winner, singer, and songwriter Taylor Swift decided to release her new album, Fearless (Taylor’s Version). Fearless, Swift’s second album, and first album to win a Grammy was originally released 13 years ago. With such a big gap between the original release, fans wondered why she suddenly felt the urge to re-record this album. The truth? It was not sudden. 

She first mentioned re-recording her albums back in 2019, when her seventh studio album Lover was released. The album was the first that Swift owned under her own name and no record company. In 2017, Swift released Reputation, an album that changed her image as a whole. 

The 28 year old singer, now 31, wanted to be in charge of her name and her past. She wanted no speculation of who she was as a person, so she took matters into her own hands. As one of her songs Endgame states, “here’s the truth from my red lips.”

“I was excited for Fearless (Taylor’s Version) because of the empowerment that comes with her owning her own music,” junior Lauren Hendrickson said. “The vault tracks are pure perfection, and Mr. Perfectly Fine instantly grabbed my attention.”

The event that triggered the whole re-release was during the Reputation era. At the time, Swift and her music was owned by a music label titled ‘Big Machine’. She, and her music, was owned by Scooter Braun and Scott Borchetta — who are big names in the music industry. They have worked with other artists such as Ariana Grande and even Justin Beiber. 

The issue rose when the media started bashing Swift for her ‘good girl gone bad’ persona. People were turning on her fast, and people were quick to put the blame on her name. Braun then took control over the album as a whole and stated that Swift was to relinquish all rights to her music — and since he owned them, there was nothing she could do about it. 

“Hearing this album re-recorded a decade later is surreal.” sophomore Samira Loy said. “Fearless is a complex album that takes a dive into Taylor’s pop and country side. There is truly something for everyone.”

Swift, like the constantly spinning record that she is, decided that he was right. There was nothing she could do about a record he owned, so instead she cut ties with the label. She began producing all of her own music under no label. Since 2017 she has written and recorded three studio albums — Lover (2019), Folklore (2020), and Evermore (2020). Since she legally does not own her first six albums, she has decided to re-record all of them. This not only gives fans the chance to relive her Fearless era, at an older and genuinely mature age now, but it also gives her the opportunity to own her own music. 

“One thing I love about the re-recordings is the amount of maturity you can hear in her voice,” junior Robert Rangel said. 

The next project that Swift is anticipating is the re-release of 1989, which to this day remains her most successful album. But, for now, let’s focus on Fearless (Taylor’s Version), which is the only album to be named Number one Album on Billboard’s Top 100 twice. Who knows, maybe it will even get nominated and win Album of the Year for the second time. At the end of the day, Swift is relentless, and will stop at nothing to make her fans and herself truly happy.