MVHS Sports Update

Let’s dive into MVHS’s recent sporting events

By: Robert Rangel

Power-Lifting

Just recently, the powerlifters have begun their season at the Texas Strength Systems UTSA Invitational. Senior Leksi Martinez led the girl’s team in 1st place. With this success, she won the Girls Best Lifter Award with a regional qualifying total. Nasha Thomas also won her first medal coming in 3rd place.

For the boy’s team, freshman Jose Regaldo worked hard to get a first place medal alongside junior Kenneth Arroyos, sophomore Ethan Wanat, and junior Jose Valdez bringing home 2nd place medals.

Basketball

Varsity Girls

Two weeks ago, the girl’s team traveled to Winn High School in Eagle Pass. With a slow beginning, the Panthers swished the win with a score of 66-21. This past Friday, the varsity girls hosted for the Floresville Jaguars resulting in yet again another victory. The Panthers dominated the Jaguars with a total of 71-26. Also, this past Saturday morning, the girls hosted McCollum in their first match against each other this season. The girls on both sides fought hard in this game, but our Panthers ultimately came up with the win, ending in a score of 50-48.

JV Girls

The JV girls battled the Floresville JV team in their second round of district. In hopes of a better outcome than last game, the JV team came out victorious 46-35. 

Freshmen Girls

The freshmen team also hosted their match against the Floresville Jaguars this past Friday, January 15. With a very successful game, the girls won the game with their highest score of the season, 56-33. 

Varsity Boys

On January 24,  the boys began their second round of district against Southwest. The team played an intense game with a turnout of 51-46 with the Panthers winning. This past Friday, the boys played McCollum at home unfortunately losing 62-36. However, the team is determined to learn from their loss and bring back their victory for upcoming games. The Panthers play Harlandale on Tuesday, Jan. 26 and Southside Friday, Jan 29. 

JV Boys

On Jan. 19, the JV team travelled to take on Southwest Dragons. Although the beginning of the game was a bit slow, both teams played in an intense game. Every new quarter being one roller coaster of a ride, the Panthers took the victory with a score of 67-65. This past Friday the boys hosted for McCollum. In the beginning of the game, the boys took the early lead. As the game went on, both teams tied to each other by the beginning of halftime. But by the end of the game, the Panthers won the game 64-59. 

“My pregame ritual consists of stretching and just sitting down on the gym floor and just appreciating the moment,” sophomore Wyatt Schott said. “Just sitting there for a minute or two cherishing the opportunity to play the best game in the world with some of my best friends really calms me down before tip off.”

Freshmen Boys

This past Tuesday, the freshmen battled Southwest in a slow game. The boys locked down on defense in the fourth quarter but unfortunately came up short 67-66. This past Friday, the freshman played against the McCollum boys in an astounding game with a total score of 61-18. 

Soccer

On January 24, the boys played their last non-district game against Fredericksburg. In the first minute of the game, the panthers scored their first point of the game. These points were achieved by senior Gabriel Human, sophomore Colton Harvey, and senior Vicente Gonzales. But, by the end of the game, both teams tied 2-2.

Varsity Girls

Last Tuesday, Jan. 19, the varsity team faced Boerne to round out their non-district play for the season. Although the team played a great game they were not able to score the win for the day ending with a final score of 0-3. 

JV Girls

Also last Tuesday, the JV team battled Boerne in a game of point after point. However, the Panthers were unable to hold up losing to Boerne 1-2.

“Most recently I went and saw the girl’s basketball team go and play at McCollum High School. I am planning to attend their game tonight as well,” teacher Dustin Hurley said. As sports seasons go on at MVHS, one thing that keeps the teams together is the support of their fellow Panthers. So be sure to be at an event for any of the teams to show your support and pride for Medina Valley. Win the Day!!!