Second First Day

New Changes for the School (Again)

Giorgette Ruiz, Staff Writer

As the fall semester came to an end, more adjustments got put into place. Approximately 1,300 students transferred in-person. To ensure the safety of the school, the administration required a new, well, everything!

A significant alteration was the COVID switched to the Skyward schedule; students are now in their original classes. As many were shocked and displeased, teachers are glad they have their original students. They use this as an opportunity to work with them and help them more. 

“I am so glad I can teach my students more this semester,”  Dual Credit History teacher Mrs. Lopez said. “I am the one who will grade their work, and now I can tell them what I am looking for in an assignment.”

Another advantage of the skyward schedule is the fixation of the elective periods. For the first semester, classes such as band, theatre, and choir were mixed. So, year ones were mixed with year fours and were complicated to teach individually.

“I’m happy we have gone back to a regular schedule for the remainder of the year so I can finally have a jazz band period,” music director Carlos Jiménez said. “This way I can teach Jazz, percussion, concert and symphonic band with their own time.”

Another alteration was the bell schedule. A collaborative period every day after the first period. Teachers can request and bring in students who are needed, but seniors report to the cafeteria. Monday and Tuesday are for A teachers; Wednesdays and Thursdays are for B teachers. Class time is 46 minutes instead of the usual 49. However, this addition made the fourth period to be an hour long.

“It is not the best thing to have collaborative every day,” junior Brandon Ripps said. “However, I have to admit that I like getting extra time to work on homework. I just don’t enjoy staying longer than I have to for tennis, especially during the cold weather.”

As these modifications were a challenge to in-person, online kids are taking it easy because their schedule changed close to none. They were in their skyward classes since the start of the school year, and the alterations are not affecting them.

“I went online after experiencing all the changes,” junior Gabby Cortez said. “School just feels so long with the new schedule. Being online can help me stay on track and manage work on my own time.”

Although these adjustments seem never-ending, it is for the safety of students and staff.  They are a few quick adjustments that will soon become the new normal. Judging by the adaptations of past changes, it is a small bump in the road.