‘Folklore: the long pond studio sessions’ review

Patrick Rangel, Staff Writer

Staff Writer Patrick Rangel    

The release of Taylor Swift’s new album Folklore has brought swifties together during the harsh times of quarantine. With the  album release being unexpected, we were more hyped up just so we could cry even more. 

But, 3 weeks ago, Taylor announced the upcoming release of her new documentary on Disney+ titled Folklore: the long pond studio sessions. This concert/documentary was a chance for Taylor to sit down, talk about her new songs and perform them. 

One thing I absolutely love about this documentary is that it opens with Taylor talking about how and why she wrote the album. Taylor talks about the real reason for the album’s tone and mellow feel. She says the tracks were made out of being in isolation. 

She says that because of the covid pandemic that is the true reason for the songs’ feel and ultimately it is about how someone can feel in such a hard time in life. Now it is time to talk about my favorite tunes on the album that she performed live… well somewhat live.

Cardigan, August, and Betty

These trio of songs are some of the best to come out of the album. It is because these songs are all connected by a love triangle of high school teens. These songs are about a boy having a relationship with two different girls. These songs tell the tragic story of chasing two girls and losing the one. 

“Cardigan” is such a beautiful song. The tone and vibe it gives off feel so joyful but the lyrics are just so depressing, but then again so are the other two tracks. My favorite part of the song is the bridge. The lyrics are “I knew you tried to change the ending, Peter losing Wendy,” There is no reason, no reason at all, for her to write such bomb lyrics. 

“Betty” is my all time favorite in the album, because it is the 14th track and 14 is my lucky number and then also because of the lyrics. The bridge and the final chorus goes so hard and intense it is literally the most beautiful thing ever. And, honestly, the same for “August”. One thing that I love about these most is that Taylor is able to put lyrics from one song and implement it into the other ones. And while we are on the topic of lyrics, Taylor’s songwriting is GOD TIER. For no reason Taylor is such a queen at getting the lyrics together and it is just so amazing.

Exile

“Exile”… “Exile” is on a whole new tier of songwriting. Dueted with Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, the song is about two former lovers looking back at what they considered a bad relationship and its aftermath. 

The song performed live felt so emotional with the combined voices of Taylor and Justin. Especially when it comes to the part of the song when Justin says “You never gave a warning sign” and then Taylor says “I gave so many signs.” 10/10 it is the perfect song that you can cry to.

Mirrorball

“Mirrorball” is so beautifully written, its lyrics just speak to me and it is just such an inspirational song, in my opinion. While talking about the song, Taylor said that it was written not long after finding out her tours were canceled because of covid. And I think that is one of the saddest things, but we got an amazing tune, so I am not mad.

Folklore the long pond studio sessions is one of the best things to come out this year period. In the beginning, Taylor says it was possibly the worst time to release an album, but I disagree. I believe it was the best time, because a lot of the songs helped me and others through a tough time because many of the songs spoke to our hearts. 10/10, I recommend. If you have not yet, go watch now!!! 

Watch Now! Disney+ | Video Player (disneyplus.com)

Listen to the album!

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/album/0PZ7lAru5FDFHuirTkWe9Z?si=py0Gt6cbT9GkInEBTWV1wg  

AppleMusic:https://music.apple.com/us/album/folklore-long-pond-studio-sessions-from-disney-special/1541904688