Fun Facts and Ideas for the Holiday

Thanksgiving can be fun if you make it fun

Nadine Zenner, Staff Writer

Thanksgiving is a holiday in which we celebrate harvest and give thanks by spending time with loved ones and having a feast on the fourth Thursday of November every year. 

Thanksgiving is mainly celebrated in the United States and Canada. Americans base this holiday off of the 1621 feast between the English colonists and the Wampanoag native tribe. This year, Thanksgiving will be celebrated on Thursday, November 26, 2020. 

What makes Thanksgiving special is the people we spend it with. Everyone has their own Thanksgiving tradition, but most traditions include the consumption of food. Some of the most common foods we eat on this day of giving thanks are turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, gravy, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. 

“I usually eat things that are traditional to Thanksgiving,” sophomore Kami Adams said. “Including turkey, corn, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, and especially pumpkin pie.”

Thanksgiving is not just about the consumption of food. It is also about spending time with the people you love, prayer, and being thankful. There are many things to be thankful for such as family, friends, your present self, and your future self.Some fun things to do on Thanksgiving are spending time with family in the kitchen while making and eating the food, preparing your Thanksgiving feast, watching football, and using the day to relax. Some fun ways you can prepare for Thanksgiving are by decorating the kitchen and/or dinning room with Thanksgiving decor, make the food yourself or help make the food, and invite family and friends over to spend the day with. 

If your family and friends cannot visit you because of Covid, a fun way to spend the day with them is by video chatting. Fun does not have to always be made in person.