Sports Recap

Everything you Need to Know

Sports+Recap

Robert Rangel, Staff Writer

November 20, 2020

Volleyball

Freshman Volleyball

On November 4th, the freshman volleyball team snatched the win against Southwest Legacy. Scores go as follows, 25-11 and 25-22. Special highlights from the games include Lexi Tedford- 1 ace, 2 kills, 2 digs, and 8 assists; Madi Aldridge- 2 aces; Mckenzee Kennedy- 5 aces, and 4 kills; Danielle Reza- 3 aces, 7 kills, 1 dig, and 3 assists. 

This past Tuesday (November 10) the freshmen took the win over Floresville winning both sets. Bringing their record to 10-1.

JV Volleyball

The JV volleyball team has dominated Southwest legacy beating the competition with a score of 25-8 and 25-14. Now the district record is 8-2. Stat leaders include Toni Holzhaus- 8 aces; Brailey Barlett- 3 kills; and Marie Villareal- 6 digs. 

On November 10 the JV team ended their season taking the win against Floresville in 2 sets, 25-14 and 25-18. Now at the end of their season, they finished with their district record of 9-2.

Varsity Volleyball

On November 8th Varsity defeated Southwest Legacy in 3 sets, 25-16; 25-9;25-14. Stat leaders for the match include, Haylee Hurtado- 3 aces and 2 blocks. Spencer McCool- 2 aces, 13 kills, 8 digs, and 2 blocks. Kyla Solis- 8 kills and 4 blocks. Cat Cochran- 13 assists. Madison Sotelo- 13 assists. Sam Estrada- 8 digs. 

On November 10 ended their district record with 14-0. Stat leaders for the night are as followed. Sam Estrada- 3 aces. Haylee Hurtado- 2 aces and 6 blocks. Kyla Solis- 11 kills and 4 blocks. Spencer McCool- 10 kills and 14 digs. Cat Cochran- 19 assists. Madison Sotelo- 11 assists. And Allyssa Thoele- 12 digs.

Cross Country

On November 15 the Medina Valley XC teams competed in Corpus Christi at the region IV (South Texas) XC championship. The Panthers have made MV history by having the highest places in the team in 25 years since XC has been around for Medina Valley. 

This season the boys team finished 4th place which is a tremendous accomplishment, but unfortunately in a non-covid season the top 4 would qualify for state. So it was very heartbreaking to not be able to qualify for these hard working guys. 

“ I felt very disappointed not being able to go to state this year, especially after knowing if it weren’t for covid we would have qualified for state, but it has pushed me to do all i can to qualify next year and has fired me up” junior Jett Winkler said.  

Leading the boys team this year was Seth Hernandez & Matthew Fleming. Along with the varsity team include seniors Blake Mulvany, Cade Mangan, Justin Alvarado. Underclassman- Marc Castro, Timothy Teaugue, & Jett Winkler.

The girls team led by Macy Livingston, Kayleigh Corliss, & Skylin Ellis led the rest of the girls through the season.

“Some of my best memories this XC season was bonding with the underclassmen because I truly felt like a leader and the bus rides playing among us laughing all the way” junior Jett Winkler said. 

“My best experience this season was the overnight meets, I was able to spend more quality time with my team and I wouldn’t trade it for the world” junior Matthew Fleming said.

XC STATE QUALIFIER

This season, senior Macy Livingston qualified for the XC state championship by placing in the top 10 individual runners. Wish Macy the best of luck when she heads to the state on November 23.

Girls Basketball

Varsity Basketball

On November 6th the varsity girls hosted their first game this season against Kerrville Tivy. The panthers swished their way to the win with a score of 55-52. 

On November 10th suffered their first loss this year competing at Boerne Tuesday night. After a good game the girls fell short in the end losing 64-47. 

On Friday November 13th  the panthers traveled to San Antonio memorial and came home with the huge win with a score of 58-24. Leading the team includes Clara Arroyos scoring 11 points, 9 rebounds,5 deflections, and 4 assists, followed closely by MaKenzee DeCock who added 10 points and 8 rebounds.

On Saturday November 14th the girls traveled to Dripping Springs to take on theLady Tigers. Through the game both teams fought hard trading off lead scores ending the regulation time with a score of 50-50. After a hard played 4 minutes of overtime the lady panthers came short with a score of 58-54. 

JV Basketball

On November 6 the JV ladies travelled to Kerrville and beat the lady Antlers with a 22-20. This past Friday (November 13) the JV team battled against SA Memorial JV Minutemen, ultimately beating them 64-24. Leading the game were Peyton Trowbridge with 19 points and Jaya Cosper with 14 points. 

Saturday the team faced a tougher game against Dripping Spring JV Tigers. They eventually took the loss with a final score of 15-52. Also leading the team was Peyton Trowbridge who contributed 7 points to the game.

Freshmen Basketball

November 6th, the Lady Panthers took the loss against the Kerrville Tivy Lady Antlers ending the score of 40-51. The freshmen ladies claimed the victory against SA Memorial this past Friday with a final score of 42-25. Myranda Perales led the scores with 14 points, Olivia Witchet with 12, and Melinda Medina with 6. 

Boys Basketball

Varsity Basketball

Friday night (November 13) the varsity boys opened up the season at LEE High School for the beginning of their season but fell short by the end. Ending with a score of 84-50. Scorers for the game include George Valdez-13. Jamail Campbell-3. Christopher Child-9. Corey Roberson-2. Corbin Northcut-9. Dylan Gonzales- Garcia- 2. Adrian Nichols-6. Dylan Gonzalez- Garcia-2. Adrian Nichols-6. Torrique Sumlin-1. And Iverson McCray-5. 

The Varsity boys will take on Somerset at home on Saturday, November 21st at 11:30 am.

JV Basketball

The JV boys faced SA Lee last Friday for their first game of the season. But they unfortunately came short by seven points with a score of 78-71. The game had numerous lead changes. Tanner Vaughn and Ace Anderson had solid games offensively,

Freshmen Basketball

Friday night the freshmen battled against SA Lee but lost 44-50. The team had many lead changes and went into the final quarter and were tied but eventually fell short in the last 2 minutes. Best performances came from Sebastian Garcia, Brycen Harrison, and Joel Tovar.

Swim Update

On November 12 the swim team raced against Brackenridge and Highlands and blew the enemy out the water. In most events the MV team placed 1st being the biggest and fastest. The boys 200 medley relay team set a new school record with 2:00.03 beating out last year’s time. 

Senior Colton Hollon also broke his own 50 free school record with 24.73 seconds.

“I feel like I can still improve and make larger drops in my times, I just need to keep practicing and training” senior Colton Hollon said. 

The next swim  meet will be at NISD 1604 on December 12. 

“Some of the best things that came out of the sim season was being able to become a family with my team members, and also competitions we make with each other” junior Matthew Taylor said.

Football Update      

Varsity Football

The Panther football team hosted against the Lockhart Lions on November 6 and were able to secure their district spot with a score of 7-0. The lone touchdown for the night was scored by junior Nick Rash in the second quarter. 

The Panthers defense led by Tyler Mangums two interceptions worked all night to shut down the Lions offense. This victory moves the panthers record to 1-2 in district      and 3-4 overall. The Panthers are still in the hunt for a playoff spot with two games remaining.

The next game will be Friday, November 20th in Kerrville against the Tivy Antlers.

JV Football

On Thursday, November 5th the JV team faced the Lockhart Lions and later on won the game. This being their third district game. Ultimately beating the lions with a score of 40-0. 

Freshman Football

The Freshman Black team played at home on Thursday against the Lockhart Lions. The Panthers dominated from start to finish and won the game 34-0 . The Orange team traveled to Comal Davenport for their game on Thursday. The Orange team could not keep up with the Davenport offense and fell 34-0. The Freshman play again next week against Kerrville Tivy.

With the amount of effort that the sports teams have put into their events. Nothing comes closer than their work ethic. For the past few weeks the teams have met their goals and went above and beyond their coaches expectations. The future looks bright for these teams. GO PANTHERS!!!