Water on the Moon!

Discoveries that help us understand our world.

PC%3A+MIT+Technology+Review+

PC: MIT Technology Review

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

For as long as humans have wandered the earth, we have always wondered if we truly are the only thing in the universe. We created stories in stars and the sky, and recently, science has been proving this might be more true than we think. 

Since the 60’s, space exploration has not only increased, but has also answered many of the questions posed about the galaxy that extend beyond the earth. NASA’s Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) has “confirmed, for the first time, water on the sunlit surface of the Moon. SOFIA has detected water molecules (H2O) in Clavius Crater, one of the largest craters visible from Earth, located in the Moon’s southern hemisphere.”.  

What does this mean? Well, not what we think. Though the amount of water is not vast, this proves an important fact: the same molecules that create and nurture life here on Earth exist in a place we never thought it could.

“I think this just helps us remember how big the universe is,” senior and High School Aerospace Scholar Sara Beth said. “It’s also a testament to how cool science is.”

Space continues to amaze us as it has for thousands of years. Every discovery made is a step closer to understanding how the universe works and the part we all play in it. As Bill Nye the Science Guy once said, “Science rules!”