Keep your head held high and your mask up higher

Importance in wearing a mask correctly

Coach Mutchler drew this to illustrate for his kids the importance of keeping your nose covered

Marina Garcia, Student Life and Sports Editor

Texas Governor Greg Abbot mandated masks in early July. Since then, Texans have been having trouble getting used to wearing masks. 

You may question why is it important? Masks are important because wearing a mask helps stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Masks block the respiratory droplets from spreading to other people, when we talk, laugh, cough or sneeze. In order for this to be effective, however, the mask must be worn to cover both the mouth and nose. 

“I want to ensure my safety at all times,” senior Yazzmine Fields said.  

Many students and staff workers have asthma making them a higher risk of getting COVID-19. Since the virus is respiratory, those with asthma, severe or not, would still be greatly affected. 

Now that we know more about COVID-19, there is a wide variety in masks. If you do not like face masks, try a face shield. If you think that you are suffocating, try buying one with a vent to help you breathe better. 

COVID-19 is here to stay as far as we know, so we need to adapt to our new way of living; and help the people around us by following the rules.