Among Us

A game full of lies and deceit, but loads of fun

Among+Us

Giorgette Ruiz, Staff Writer

One of your crewmates has been replaced by a shapeshifter whose mission is to eliminate the rest of the crew before the ship reaches home. The Imposter will sabotage the ship, sneak through vents, and frame others to remain anonymous. Their end goal: kill the crew. It is up to you to avoid and convict the killer, or remain anonymous, while deceiving the rest of the crewmates, to win the game.

“Among Us” is a game published by Innersloth and was initially released on June 15, 2018, but is now taking the school for a whirl. The customizable characters and the game of lies and betrayal is capturing everyone’s attention, even teachers. 

“I’ve played once with Mr. Hurley, Ms. Gregory, and my husband Robbie,” English teacher Mrs.Magill said. “My character was cyan with a balloon hat, and my favorite task had to be connecting the wires in electrical.”

Players can play online or over local Wi-Fi with four to ten players as they attempt to keep their spaceship stable enough to reach home while also avoiding the Imposter. They can join a public online game or they can host their own game with a code that will allow their friends to join nearby. The host of the game can adjust the settings and customize them to their liking. For example, the host can choose to have whichever tasks they want to assign, the number of imposters in one game, and the map of the ship.

“I play ‘Among Us’ and use the time to catch up with my online friends,” junior Nate Martin said. “I love to do the Monitor Tree task because of the sound it makes. I love to be the imposter more than anything. Being a crewmate makes me nervous.” 

Crewmates have to perform tasks to fill the taskbar up, and once the taskbar is filled, the ship is returned home and the crewmates win. Tasks include connecting the same color wires, destroying asteroids, repairing the engine fuel, and many more. While performing these tasks, crew members have to avoid getting eliminated by the Imposter. If they happen to get eliminated, they turn into a ghost and can still observe and complete tasks until the game is finished.

“I play online a lot, but I mostly play with my cousins,” sophomore Jessica Rhinebeck said. “I’m never Imposter, so when I get to be Imposter it’s great and it’s so fun eliminating people. One thing to remember is to never trust red.”

While everyone is on the ship grounds, no one can talk to each other, so the imposter can remain anonymous. Once a body is found and gets reported, the game chat is open for discussion and crewmates can vote on who they believe is the Imposter. Once the votes have been tallied, the one with the most votes gets ejected and this reveals if they are the imposter or not.  If the Impostor is not voted off, everyone goes back to maintaining the ship until another body is found. If the Imposter gets ejected, the crewmates win, but if the imposter kills all of the crewmates and avoids getting convicted, they win the game.

“Unfortunately, Mr. Hurley killed off Robbie and tricked Ms.Gregory into believing it was me and I got voted off,” Magill said. “Mr. Hurley is sus. I was never chosen to be the imposter, but it is my lifelong dream to be one.”

“Among Us” is a perfect way to rekindle with your friends or even meet and chat with new people online while the situation gets too intense to handle. It is available on iOS, Android, and Microsoft Windows and free of purchase with some in-app purchases. Enjoy the classic game of “Who’s the Killer” by downloading “Among Us” and playing today!