The Haunting of Bly Manor

What is scarier: ghosts or the past?

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

Everyone loves a good ghost story. The thrill, the haunt, is exciting. During the Halloween season, viewers all turn to various mediums of art to help get in the spooky mood. On October 9, Mike Flannigan debuted his sophomore horror TV Series on Netflix. “The Haunting of Bly Manor” follows an American au pair, Dani Clayton, as she begins to nanny a ‘perfectly splendid’ family. 

From the beginning, the Wingrave siblings are a mystery to both the audience and Miss Clayton. Orphaned at young ages, followed by the tragic death of their first au pair, the children produce an air of errieness and melancholy, which unsettles the entire house. 

The staff of Bly Manor includes the ‘punny’ chef and driver, Owen, with an ailing mother in town, Hannah, the live-in maid with a compelling secret and Jamie, the tough as nails gardener. Each character helps Dani navigate her new role in the manor and overcome her dark past and deep secrets. 

As the season progresses, viewers realize that not everything is as it seems. With each truth revealed, two more questions appear in its place till you are biting your nails in anticipation. 

Those who are familiar with Flannigan’s first installment, “The Haunting Of Hill House,”  immediately spot key differences in the series: “Bly” is less about the physical haunt (though that is included) and more about the emotional haunt of loss and pain we face in our lives. And though the series is enjoyable and emotional, it falls a little… flat. Maybe it is because as a viewer, I was more moved by Hill House and its themes as opposed to the slow and crawling pace of Bly Manor. 

All in all, “The Haunting of Bly Manor” is a good show to prepare yourself for the Halloween season.