Culture of Excellence: Together and Apart

A feature on why I’m failing Calculus

Janelle De Jesus, Feature Editor

With the six-weeks coming to a close, students are gasping for air before having to start school again. Online learners struggle to keep up with the challenging curriculum being handed to them, while in-person learners are struggling to maintain distance. While some students barely pass, others have never been better in an online classroom. Maybe it is just me with a 73 in calculus and a mental breakdown every time I see it, or maybe it is every online student enrolled in our courses. With this new learning environment, there have been extreme highs and lows for students both in and out of a real classroom. Today we visit how students are passing, or barely swinging by due to these outrageous new learning standards. 

“I constantly power through my classes no matter how I’m personally feeling,” said sophomore Kesler Anderson, “I work until all of my work is done then I break and move on. This way helps me not be distracted and I get more free time to myself.” 

It is no surprise that online school has put a toll on many students, freshman through seniors, but with these challenging times these students have taken it upon themselves to make the best of a bad deal. Some courses like Pre-Cal have students freaking out over a negative sign because there is no teacher to tell them why it is wrong, while other courses like British literature have students frustrated over apostrophes in the middle of words, trust me I am one of these students. Although, through these trials and tribulations, the students of our school never fail to find a positive way around these issues. 

“I often find myself putting off work and then doing an unhealthy binge,” said senior Justus Mendoza, “but recently I have started a better alternative that includes taking short breaks to rest my eyes from my awful computer screen.”

Although we have only mentioned how school is affecting remote learners, it is equally as harsh on in-person individuals. These students are also having to do schoolwork online. They have to constantly hit refresh on their computer to make sure they have not missed any assignments. I assume that no student has ever had to hit ‘mark as done’ with no work attached as much as our in school learners. But hey, at least they are not responsible for 12 different attendance forms. 

“It’s definitely hard,” junior Allison Whitley said, “but I know that online would be much harder. The hardest thing is keeping up with every assignment both online and in class, I just remind myself that everything is going to be a-okay, take a breath, and get back on track.” 

At the end of the day, school in this environment is not going to be easy. But, with advice from our students, we as a student body can maintain our status and succeed together. 

“Stay in touch with your teachers!” Whitley said. 

“Take frequent breaks!” Mendoza said.

“Don’t procrastinate!” Anderson said. 

Together or apart, we are still a Culture of Excellence.