The Game Plays On

This Week in Sports

The Game Plays On

Gabriel Donaghy, Staff Writer

Has America missed sports or what? It felt like there was something missing to life, even if you yourself are not interested in sports, you likely have felt the impact of its absence. But even though we are still under the same circumstances, sports are back, both at Medina Valley and around the world. So let us get caught up on what has been happening with the sports at MVHS.

Like most falls, the same sports are back for the year. Volleyball, Cross Country, Football, Swim, and Tennis are currently competing in games and matches. While sports like Soccer and Golf are still practicing for when their games come. 

In Volleyball, the freshmen team won  against Harlandale on October 2, where they won two sets. The game was very hard fought but overall a good match. The first set score was 21-25 and the second set 20-25. The highlights:

Tanith Chappie: six digs

Damielle Reza: Five kills, four digs

Makayla Lightsey: four aces

The freshmen team later went on against Southside, winning the game.

The JV won the first set 25-17 against Harlandale on October 2. But then unfortunately lost the second set 18-25, but they won the final set at 25-21. 

“I am extremely proud of the JV team’s tenacity as they closed the final set with a win against Harlandale,” coach Megan Perez said.. “We have been working hard in playing consistently this season to avoid that troubling third set, especially against a motivated team like Harlandale. After a shaky second set, the girls were fired up and determined to finish the late night with a victory at home. With some timely offense and tough serving, we were able to do just that and keep our undefeated district record, now at 3-0.  It was a great night to be a Panther!”

The Varsity team went against the Harlandle team fought hard like their other MV Volleyball teams and came out winning three out of five matches.

The Stat Leaders were:

Aces: Haylee Hurtado-43 Allyssa Thoele and Sam Estrada-2

Blocks: Haylee Hurtado-7; Kyla Solis-5

Kills: Spencer McCool-13; Kyla Solis-10; Haylee Hurtado-10

Digs: Sam Estrada-20; Cat Cochran-10

Assists: Cat Cochran-22; Reagan Aldridge-9

Meanwhile with Cross Country, both the JV boys and girls teams competed at the Northeast Sports Park on September 30. Both teams showed great progression in their runs throughout the competition.

The girls division did very well in competition with the top 5 MV finishers being – Amaris Maldonado, Kathleen Carpenter, Cheyenne Hammons, Sarah Adams, & Julia Graham.

The boys division placed 2nd overall by the top 5 finishers – Ty Mangan, Aaron Espinoza, Yael Reyes, Jeremey Flint, Jesus Clopton.

Meanwhile the Varsity boys and girls Cross Country competed in the Seguin Invitational on October 3rd. 

The Girls team placed 4th overall with the top 5 finishers being – Macy Livingston, Clara Arroyos, Alianna Salazar, Paeytn Ellis, Kayleigh Corliss.  

Boys team finished 2nd place overall with their top 5 finishers being – Tim Teague, Marc Castro, Seth Hernandez, Blake Mukvaney, Cade Mangan.

Football had its share of ups and downs with the Freshmen Orange Team losing 37-6 to Pleasonton, while the Freshmen Black Team had a score of 41-0. Meanwhile, the Junior Varsity team took on Southwest Legacy taking a win of 19-0.

The Varsity team also took on Southwest Legacy on the night of Homecoming. During the first half, Nick Rash was able to get the ball to Mason Vogel scoring the first touchdown of the night, unfortunately without a field goal. In the second half he made the drive with Nick Rash making a touchdown setting the score to 12-0. Rash then found Raef Clendenin in the back of the endzone for the 2 point conversion, putting the Panthers up 14-0. Later on a field goal was scored sending the Panther score even higher.  As time went on in the game Nick Rash once again found Raef Clendenin in the endzone sending the score up to score 23-7 defeating them by 23-7.

Swim competed in their first meet on September 26 at Uvalde. The team total got 17 first place finishes out of the 24 events. Doing very well for the first ever dual meet that Panther Swim has competed in.

Tennis had two matches,  JV went against Floresville on September 27 and varsity had a match against McCollum on October 1. 

The JV team played very hard on that, playing three pro sets each, giving the players a lot to do.

Varsity went 14-5. The last match ended with senior Liam Persyn having a split set super tiebreaker that ended in a winning score of 4-6, 6-1, 11-9. 

“Watching Liam struggling in the tiebreaker was both stressful and in a way inspiring. Liam was beating himself but in the end, he persevered and I believe that will help him in future matches,” coach Samantha Reinhart said. “I was proud that he worked through what was bringing him down and came out with the win.” In total, they won 7 out of 8 doubles matches.  

With more games to come, one can only hope that the teams will just keep getting better and better!