Water Awareness

Your Health could be in Trouble

Know your hydration levels by using this helpful chart

Marina Garcia, Student Life and Sports Editor

Every year students have to change their normal schedule to fit into their class schedule. Some of the main ones would be their lunch schedule, or when they use the bathroom. But, the biggest of all, especially now, is when and how much we drink water.

“I don’t want to make other people uncomfortable,” senior America Garcia said. 

Due to us wearing masks, it is not as easy to just open your mouth and drink it. Now it is getting the water, taking off the mask, putting on the mask, and no one wants to take them off during class time or with people. 

Being hydrated is extremely important. It regulates the body temperature, delivers nutrients, keeps the organs functioning properly, and it also improves sleep quality and mood. 

So how do students know if they are dehydrated? Symptoms are being tired or sluggish, dry eyes, mouth and lips, being thirsty, feeling lightheaded and peeing less than 4 times a day. 

Due to the school’s actions on keeping the students safe, all the water fountains are temporarily closed. Many students have now brought their own reusable or plastic water bottles. 

“I don’t get headaches as much as I used to, I drink a lot more water,” senior Corbin Northcut said. Northcut recently started using his reusable water bottle during school, and it has benefited him greatly. 

The water fountains will remain closed until further notice. There was supposed to be an automatic water dispenser, but the arrival date for the appliances is not yet set. For now, students and staff will have to bring their own water or get it from the cafeteria.