Shows of the Quarantine

Gabriel Donaghy, Staff Writer

Welcome to a new world, a world that many people say will go down in history as perhaps the most…laziest time. Welcome to the world of Binge Watching.

Quarantine started off hitting students with two huge shows that took the world by storm: Tiger King and Avatar: The Last Airbender. While Tiger King was directed more towards adults and Avatar to younger people, they did not have that effect; people of all ages became obsessed with both shows. 

“Tiger King was definitely one of the worst and best things to come out of 2020, I mean who wouldn’t want to watch a middle aged man with a mullet and two husbands play with tigers and run for governor,” junior Laura Rangel said, Tiger King gave people a chance to see a different side of the world they likely never knew about.

“I loved Avatar! I watched it for the first time during quarantine and it was absolutely phenomenal. For a kids show it was surprisingly in tune with real world issues,” senior Natalie Hickman said, “I’d heard so many good things about it and I was in no way disappointed. It also had a phenomenal ending and every loose string was tied up so perfectly.” Avatar gave olds fans a chance to relive their childhood and new fans a chance to experience an amazing masterpiece of a show and escape from real life.

As time went on, students finished series like Waco and Mandalorian, leaving no new shows in sight. This caused students to turn to the classics of the past, with people watching Friends, Community, The Office and many other shows that were binge classics, but because of Quarantine it opened up to a whole new audience of people. 

“I rewatched Phineas and Ferb during quarantine because it was just super nostalgic and comforting to relive all of those school nights where I’d come home and watch it on my living room floor,” Hickman said.

“A show that I rewatched was Grey’s Anatomy, it didn’t really bring me any comfort but there’s like 17 seasons so it kept me entertained,” Rangel said. 

Even animated shows dominated. According to observer.com, the top two most requested TV titles in the U.S. were Spongebob Squarepants and My Hero Academia. 

With the most watched and demanded shows ranging from documentaries to classic children shows to sitcoms to Japanese animes, we could not make up our minds on what to watch. Fortunately, we have our friends and family to help us with this. Being together, even if separated by a phone or a laptop, finding out what to watch, has made this pandemic a little easier on us all.