Not Enough Pay

Foodservice workers are not getting paid enough

PC: NETWORKWORLD

Nadine Zenner, Staff Writer

People working in the foodservice industry do not get paid enough for the amount of work they do and the amount of stress they have to go through. The average pay a food service worker gets is around $8.89 to $10.84. This amount is barely enough to make a living off of, and that is for just one single person. It would be even harder for someone with a family to make a living off of that amount.

A lot of people do not realize what foodservice workers endure. They have to deal with irate customers on a daily basis, and this can put a lot of stress on a person. That does not include what happens in the kitchen. Between angry customers and rush hours, these employees get a lot thrown at them.

There are different thoughts on the pay that foodservice workers get. For a fifteen year old, $8 an hour is a luxury, but for someone with bills, not so much.

“I think I get paid well,” High school sophomore,Chloe Hendricks, said, “How many fifteen year olds get paid $8.00 an hour?”
The average living expenses are about $5,102 per month. If someone is working seven hours a day, 6 days a week, and they get paid every week at $8.89 an hour, they would only be making about $1,624.20 a month. That is a $3,477.80 difference. That is not enough to live off of.

If you are a high school student looking to get a job, you should consider the bills you will need to pay and if the job you want will be paying you enough. You can pay a simple phone bill with just $8.89 an hour, but can you pay your living expenses with that much?