What Do I Miss?

What I personally miss about school

What Do I Miss?

Dominick Cooper, Staff Writer

As most of you know, Texas schools will remain online for the remainder of the year. So this leaves us students with several feelings. Today, we will be discussing one in particular. What do we miss about school? Particularly, what I miss about school. I miss a multitude of things. I miss my friends, my teachers, and my Bob Ross and Racoon Funko Pops I have in my workspace in the journalism room. However, I feel as though they don’t entirely compare to how much I miss our school’s library. 

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book” John Green, author of The Fault in Our Stars, said.

I am a huge book fanatic. I’ve been enthralled by books for as long as I can remember. Whether I was reading Where The Wild Things Are back in the day, or Inkheart currently, I immerse myself within the stories. I am able to go on the most wondrous of adventures, see the most beautiful of scenery, and even visit other worlds all from the comfort of my room. Due to my bookshelf at home being tiny, my collection of books is small. This being said, being in a room full of books that I can read for free is amazing. I love to just stroll the shelves and look at the titles. If something piques my interest, I read the description, then the first page. If the author intrigues me on the first page and description, then I check it out. Sometimes I already have a book in mind. In those cases I search for it on my own instead of asking if they have it, and where it is kept. By searching on my own, I am sometimes able to find a book that sounds interesting!

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library” author Jorge Luis Borges said. 

Libraries are the protectors to gates to other worlds, alternate universes, distant futures, and distant pasts. You never know what you might find in one. You could go in looking for an action/adventure novel and walk right out with a mystery/romance. The best part about school libraries is that you don’t even have to pay to check out books. Since kindergarten, I have, and will for the remainder of my high school years, go book hunting in the school library!