What Saved My Sanity

Diving more into my love for running as an aid to staying sane.

Melanie Love Salazar, Student Life Editor

My family is not really one for outside activities. We can enjoy the scenery every now and then on a nice day, but the times we have camped are few (and if in a cabin doesn’t count, then none).  

However, I have come to find a lot of peace in running outside, and being with nature. My family and I are fortunate enough to have a treadmill in the house also, which I use consistently. But, running outside offers me a feeling of much more freedom and happiness. Perhaps because our options of places to go are limited (and for good reason), but you can go around your neighborhood once or twice… maybe five times if you’re feeling extra cooped up. 

Although I can’t pinpoint one exact thing that draws me to running, one is finding joy in feeling complete control of my body. I can’t control what is going on in the world and I have a lot of trouble with the unknown. Putting one foot in front of the other, breathing, and focusing on what is ahead is something I know and can do. Also, it may sound a little too deep, but with my life in general, I tend to focus on the past. Running, to me, is both exercise and symbolic to “let’s look ahead and keep going”. 

Honestly, now that I really think about it, running is symbolic in a ton of ways. There have been many times where I did not feel up to a run at all. I was tired, sad, or just didn’t feel like it. Simple as that. There is nothing, nothing wrong with taking a break. But, I’m becoming more familiar with the days in which I need a break or to pick myself up and push through. There have been a lot of days like that these past few weeks. Running teaches endurance. It shows me that even with a little discomfort, I can finish what I have started. That can apply to anything in life! I don’t know about everyone else, but among all the feelings held by people worldwide, discomfort is probably one of them. People are not used to this state of the world because it just isn’t normal. I’m not used to being home all day. I have been trying to keep in mind that all discomfort really is that. It does not have complete power over me. I can be uncomfortable and find a way to carry on, just as I do when running sometimes. 

Although I feel I could go on about running for pages at this point, I’ll end on the note that running outside also reminds me of how beautiful everything is. Sappy but true. I live in a beautiful neighborhood, one that I have definitely taken for granted before. That’s okay though because I’m changing that. Running is something that soothes me, but if it’s something you dread or aren’t interested in trying, by all means don’t! Find what saves your sanity and indulge in that. Whatever eases your mind, brings you joy, or is simply something you like is what is worth some of your time. With that said, running is mine and I can’t wait to see where that takes me.