A Part of Art

Art Clubs Most Recent Achievements

The art club members posing with their medals that they won PC: MVISD

Marina Garcia, Staff Writer

On February 15, fourteen students competed at the annual VASE (Visual Arts Scholastic Event) in San Antonio region 20.  This is the art club’s first time competing in the contest. For the first time going, the art club did a pretty good job, bringing home 16 gold medals, 7 perfect scores (judged off of 60), and two of them advancing to state. The two students that advanced to state are Amiee Dickson and Kayla Devore.

Amiee Dickison competed in the division 1 group. The divisions are divided by what class they are in. This is her first year in art. Going to state was not a big shock to Dickison. 

“Surprised but yet I wasn’t shocked,” junior Amiee Dickison said. There were 1,252 entries, but only 93 were chosen to advance to state. 

The process is fairly simple. Everyone goes to the competition with their artwork in hand. They go through the judging and interviewing process. The students are interviewed on research and application to their work, uses of elements, aesthetics and personal expression. Then they leave the art work to get judged. The judges criticize the following purpose of the work, expression of the work, organization and integration. 

Kayla Devore competed in the division 2 group. This was the largest group out of the three groups that competed. 

“I didn’t expect it, ” senior Kayla Devore said. 

There advanced pieces of artwork will be judged again on April 25 at San Marcos High School. All of the art clubs’ work will be displayed on April 3 at the Annual Art Show Fundraiser here at the High School. Please come and support the art club.