Keeping the Wins Going.

The girls basketball teams traveled to Uvalde.

PC: MVHS

The JV girls basketball team getting a talk from Coach Misti Kennitt before going out on the court.

Gabriela McNelly, Tannor Lange, and Coaches, Sports editor

On January 21, the Varsity Girls took on Uvalde dominating from start to finish; coming away with the victory 86-25. The girls were balanced at every part of the game with every player scoring. The 86 points the girls scored tied a school record for most points in a game. The Panthers were led by sophomore Clara Arroyos who finished the game with 17 points and 8 rebounds. Sophomore Madison Guerrero pitched in with 13 points and sophomore Kaylyn Persyn had a solid game with 12 points. The Panthers were led in rebounding by senior Amaya Cosper with 11.Junior Katie Burris finished with a great defensive performance with 7 rebounds and 5 steals. This brings the girls overall record to 24-7 and a district record of 10-1.

“ As a team we passed well the whole game,” Persyn said,” Some things we can still improve on are shooting better and more encouragement on the court.”

The JV Girls basketball team hosted the Uvalde Lobos Tuesday night and finished the evening with a 46-22 victory. All players contributed points to the final score, with the leaders being sophomore Madison Sotelo with 11 and sophomore Kylie Mutz with 10. Junior Hailey Franke added 6, junior Aleza Palomarez and sophomore Priscilla Lopez each had 4, senior Jaya Cosper and sophomore Angelica Ruiz had 3 apiece, sophomore Emily Hecker and junior Corina Castnon tallied 2 and junior Gio Ruiz added 1.

“We played really good together,” said Ruiz,” For the next game the main thing we need to focus on is communication.”

Last night the Freshmen Girls Basketball team played Uvalde. The girls came out dominating the game winning 53-22. Leading the Panthers was Daniela Guevara with 11 points, Paiten Trowbridge 10 points, Kellie Harlow 9 points, Iliana Garcia and Payton Keller 7 points, Sierra Estrada 5 points, Gracie Northcut, and Sarah Dailey 2 points each.

“ Together as a team we have done really good with teamwork and communication on the court,” said Estrada,” we can be better on our hustle back on defense for the games to come.”

The Panthers will have a bye this Friday before returning to play on Tuesday against Southwest Legacy.

Go Panthers!