The Future is Female

Opportunities Now and Later for Women in Cyber Fields

Sophomore+Kassidee+Webb+works+on+her+image.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future is Female

Sophomore Kassidee Webb works on her image.

PC: Brianna Barclay

PC: Brianna Barclay

PC: Brianna Barclay

Kylee Hall, Staff Writer

The first time I walked into Mrs.Webb’s class after school to join Cyber Patriots I was intimidated. First off, it was a room filled with my peers who were educated on the events and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. When you’re new to something, it feels like everyone is staring at you (or maybe it was because it was in fact spirit week and I was the only one wearing a fluffy green tutu). 

My peers in Cyber Patriots who before then I had never spoke to were quick to be kind, offering conversation where my knowledge fell, and quickly made something that seemed absolutely terrifying, actually really enjoyable. I was quick to notice that the amount of girls participating was not significantly less than the boys but there are more boys than girls. 

Cyber Patriots gives students the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of how systems operate through competition. Students gather on Fridays and Saturdays to participate in a six hour competition. Cyber technology is a male dominated field and although the women within the Medina Valley Cyber Patriot team find no difference in how we are treated, we know that women within this field are few and far between. 

“ Cyber Patriots makes me more aware of just how male dominated the field is and the opportunities that there are for girls,” senior Alyssa Burlingame said. 

Men dominate the cyber security field by at least 60 percent. There are colleges readily able to provide scholarships for women who are interested in cyber security, coding, and mostly anything that has to do with the technology field. 

Walking into Mrs.Webbs classroom for the first time was intimidating, but I found something that I was interested in after giving it a chance. If you’re interested in cyber technology Mrs.Webss classroom is the place to be, and we’ll leave the door open for you!