Goodbye Childhood, Hello Nostalgia

As the decade comes to a close, we all gather around and reminisce about the memories that made our childhoods ours.

A+collection+of+old+shows+and+memories+that+help+you+reminisce+on+the+wonders+of+childhood+and+the+decade.+

A collection of old shows and memories that help you reminisce on the wonders of childhood and the decade.

Janelle De Jesus, Staff Writer

2019 closing marks a very important moment in our lives. It does not just mark the end of the decade, but also the end of your childhood as you all know it. Whether or not you are a freshman or senior, the end of this decade is a big deal. The moments of trading Pokemon Cards at lunch, playing freeze tag, or watching Barbie movies with your friends are long gone, and they are simply just memories now. As this decade comes to a close, we can all gather around one last time to reminisce on our favorite memories of the decade.

T.V. shows were a big part of many people’s childhoods. Whether you wished you were rocking out alongside Hannah Montana, or wishing you were on the court with the Wildcats,  you were probably watching something. Our favorite shows have come and gone, but the memories we made with them will always be in our hearts. 

Drake and Josh was my favorite T.V. show. It was seen as a “boys” show but I always loved it,” sophomore Allison Whitley said. “It also just reminded me of me and my older sister Abbey. In fact, it was identical to me and Abbey.”

Not only did T.V. shows make up our childhoods, but movies did too. Our hearts have a special place for nostalgic movies. Sitting in the theater as the lights dim and the Pixar Lamp enters the screen, cuddling up on your couch popcorn in hand while you watch The Avengers, and binge watching Barbie movies with your best girlfriends. Movies leave prints on our brains and hearts, years from now you will not remember the plot of your favorite childhood movie, but you will remember the warm fuzzy feeling it gave you many years ago. 

“Funny story, but Back at the Barnyard was my favorite movie,” junior Henry Nino said.“I always loved that movie but I never got to finish it. The disc I owned was broken so I only ever saw the first half. Then one time my cousin came over but had to leave before we finished the movie, ten years later I still don’t know how it ended.”

Toys and knick knacks were all the rage this decade. From I-Dogs and Nintendo DS to Zhu Zhu pets and Nerf guns. When you think of the 2010’s chances are that your brain floods with memories of trading Silly Bandz with your friends and hopping on a Club Penguin and Poptropica server. Toys are a big part of anyone’s childhood, so it only makes sense to reminisce the toys we used to all love once. 

“Although I loved a good Nintendo DS, my favorite toy would have to be Monster High Dolls,” junior America Garcia said. “Something about the meaning behind them, how everyone was different but still accepted. I really liked that.”

Music has shaped not just decades, but generations, and the 2010s were no different. Artists like Ke$ha, Katy Perry, One Direction, and Justin Bieber were artists that shaped this decade. 

“‘Dynamite’ by Taio Cruz was the song I correlated to my childhood,” sophomore Nate Martin said. “I’ll show up to any party to this day where that song is playing. I would give all of my respect to that DJ.”

“I know the name of the song but I just can’t put my finger on the artist,” freshman Krystal Lasiter said. “The song is ‘Dynamite’ though, I will never ever get tired of hearing that song.”

We have read about movies, shows, songs, and even toys. You may not become emotional when remembering what life used to be before things got hard, but chances are there will always be a show or movie ending that is engraved in your mind forever. 

“My favorite Disney Channel ending was always Gravity Falls,” senior Oceanna Massey said. “ Since then I would have to say it’s the Good Luck Charlie ending. When I was younger I used to not be sad because I knew Teddy wasn’t leaving, she was just graduating. But now that senior year has rolled around and I’m almost graduating, it hits me twelve times harder.” 

With 2020 only a few weeks away, things are changing. You are getting older, your friends are graduating, and college is rolling around for some of you. So take this opportunity to remember the good times, go watch a movie with your friends, take down your old box of Barbie dolls and Legos from the closet, or simply look at a photo album and remember just how great this decade was. 

Like Winnie the Pooh once said, “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” So 2010 through 2019, we will miss you, thank you for everything. Here is to 2020.