Making Makeup Madness

Jeffree Star and Shane Dawson break the beauty and YouTube industry with the release of a new documentary series and exclusive makeup line.

The thumbnail for episode one of 
The Wonderful World of Jeffree Star, 
Jeffree (left) and Shane (right) inside of the iconic Star mirrors.
PC: distractify.com

The thumbnail for episode one of The Wonderful World of Jeffree Star, Jeffree (left) and Shane (right) inside of the iconic Star mirrors. PC: distractify.com

Janelle De Jesus, Staff Writer

The Wonderful World of Jeffree Star, a YouTube series created by Shane Dawson and Jeffree Star has taken the number one spot on trending. The first episode of the series premiered on October 1,2019, and since then three more episodes have been released.

Shane Dawson first appeared on YouTube in 2008. He is known for his conspiracy theory videos, and more recently, his series’ on YouTubers Tana Mongeau, Jake Paul, Molly Burke, and now Jeffree Star.

“I’ve always been a fan of Shane Dawson, his conspiracy videos always left me on the edge of my seat,” junior Julianne Esquivel said. “Through him I started following Jeffree and his makeup videos.” 

Jeffree Star is on the complete opposite side of YouTube. Star started his channel in 2006. He used to focus on music, but has always had a love for makeup. In 2016 he started making his own makeup. Jeffree Star Cosmetics is now a multi-million dollar company, and his influence has motivated millions of people, including Dawson.

Dawson and Star are two very different influencers who became best friends after the release of Dawson’s first series The Secret World of Jeffree Star. That series focused on Star’s life and how he got to be the successful millionaire he is today, trauma and all. The difference between the two series is The Wonderful World dives into the business side of the beauty industry, including the challenges of it. No truth is held back, Star puts all cards on the table.

“I love this series more than any other video I’ve ever seen. It keeps me hooked because of the drama within the beauty community and the behind the scenes,” freshman Jasmine Vargas said. “No one has ever been bold enough to show the truth behind business, Shane and Jeffree take chances other people aren’t willing to.” 

The series became an instant success and has left fans wanting more. After the release of episode 3, Dawson and Star dropped their exclusive merchandise including new hoodies, makeup bags, bags, and the iconic Jeffree Star Cosmetics (JSC) mirrors. And after the release of episode 4 it was announced that their makeup line will release November 1, 2019. The line includes an 18-pan eyeshadow pallet named “The Conspiracy Pallet,” a 9 shade mini pallet named “The Mini Controversy,” and 6 shade liquid lip collection. 

“Of course I’m going to buy the pallet,” sophomore Jessie Guerra said. “I’m not big on makeup but having something that two of my favorite YouTubers collaborated on means a lot to me.” 

Star and Dawson have changed not just the YouTube world, but also the makeup world.

“But that’s all just a theory,” Dawson always cleverly says.