Speech & “Dubs”

The Speech and Debate team is on fire.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Speech & “Dubs”

Seniors Kylee Hall, Jose Rodriguez, Elizabeth Gilmore, Brianna Barclay at Saturday's competition.

Janelle De Jesus, Staff Writer

The Speech and Debate team went to Warren High School this past Saturday to compete at a TFA competition. Senior Brianna Barclay broke into semi finals for extemporaneous speaking, senior Kylee Hall broke into finals for congress, and the team of Barclay and Jose Rodriguez broke into quarter finals for public forum (PF). The team recently kicked off their season and it is no secret that they are taking each tournament by storm. 

“Straight dubs,” senior Trinity Duncan said. “You should expect nothing less.”

UIL Speech and Debate has only been a team for a few years, and in the past year has tripled in size. It is one of the fastest growing clubs on campus, if not the fastest. Dustin Hurley, the debate team coach, has had several students advance to state in the past year. With help from Tessa Gregory, the new co-debate coach, they plan to have more success.

“Speech and debate here has helped me with being more confident in my thoughts and speech,” junior Sara Beth Beasley said. “It also helped me gain a sense of responsibility and is helping me prepare for my future career.”

The team has a whole year’s worth of tournaments to attend. We wish the debate team a successful season, and we hope to see many students at state this spring.