Taking on the Lions.

Medina Valley Football teams faced off against the Lockhart Lions.

The+Varsity+Offense+gets+huddled+up+by+quarterback%2C+senior%2C+Charles+Marsh+to+get+ready+to+get+on+the+line+against+the+Lockhart+Lions.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking on the Lions.

The Varsity Offense gets huddled up by quarterback, senior, Charles Marsh to get ready to get on the line against the Lockhart Lions.

PC: Jacob May

PC: Jacob May

PC: Jacob May

Gabriela McNelly and Coaching Staff, Sports Editor

VARSITY
The Panthers hosted the Lockhart Lions on September 9, and fell short in their first district game of the year. Medina Valley struck first on a senior James Gipson touchdown to give the Panthers the early lead, and the defense did their usual work, holding Lockhart to 3 points in the first half.
“ The boys started off well, had a drive to start strong,” said Coach Steven Kirkpatrick. “Even going into the second half they started well with a drive that took four to five minuntes off the clock to start the half.”
The Panthers came out after the half and had a strong drive going, but a fumble return for a touchdown changed the momentum of the game for good. The Lions found the endzone one more time to make the game 17-7, but the Panthers could not get enough traction to overcome the difference. This week the Panthers look to rebound as they travel to Boerne Champion to take on the Chargers Friday night at 7:30.

PC: Abby Wilson
Seniors Zachary Lawyer, Moses Cortez, Zachary Hecker, and Tannor Bippert waiting on the coin flip to start the Varsity football game against the Lockhart Lions.

JUNIOR VARSITY
The Panther JV team traveled to Lockhart September 19, to take on the Lions. In a hard-fought battle, the Black Cats defeated the Lions 14-13.
Sophomore Nick Rash got the scoring started for the Panthers on a 5-yard run. Sophomore Alex Luna chipped in on the defensive side tackling Lockhart’s quarterback in the endzone for a safety. At the half, the Panthers were behind 13-8.
After a 45-minute lightning delay, the Panthers came out like a new team.

“ They came out of the lighting delay very motivated and high energy looking to be successful,” said Coach Lucas Ward.

The defense held the Lions scoreless and the Panthers added a 35-yard touchdown run by Ethan Garza. The most impressive part of the half was the time of possession. The Panthers dominated it 16 minutes to four. The offense used long, time-consuming drives and the defense stuffed the Lions all half.
That puts the Panthers at 1 -0 in district. They will travel to Boerne Champion next Thursday for the second district game.

FRESHMAN
The Freshman football team had their first district game on September 19, at home against the Lockhart Lions. The offense started the game off with a long drive, which ended in a touchdown pass from Asael Moreno to Jayden Gonzales.

“ They started slow and gave up a few runs,” said Coach Neil Tschirhart. ”Yet they still fought back at half.”

The Lions scored twice to take the lead at the end of the half. The Panthers fought back in the second half, with two fumbles forced by Jaxon Vogel. In the end the Panthers could not overcome the deficit and fell to the Lions 23-14.