Black and Blue Bowl Update

Medina Valley Football Teams beat the hoot out of the Hondo Owls.

Panther+defense+getting+ready+on+the+snap+to+attack+the+owls.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Black and Blue Bowl Update

Panther defense getting ready on the snap to attack the owls.

PC: Tim Rash

PC: Tim Rash

PC: Tim Rash

Gabriela McNelly and Coaching Staff, Sports Editor

VARSITY
The Panthers defeated Hondo 41-14 in the Black and Blue Bowl on Friday. Medina Valley was dominant on offense and defense. Outstanding play by the offensive and defensive line made for a memorable night for the Panther backfield. Behind great blocking, James Gipson rushed for 4 touchdowns while Charlie Marsh added a rushing touchdown of his own.

Senior James Gipson said, “Playing my last Black and Blue Bowl was fun and exciting. We went into the game knowing we were going to win.”

Marsh connected with James for the only touchdown pass of the night. The defense looked strong once again, coming away with 3 takeaways on interceptions by Noah Raygosa, Michael Tomaselli and Sebastian Gutierrez. This week the Panthers open district play when Lockhart comes to town, Friday at 7:30 PM. Come support the Panthers.

PC: Tim Rash
Varsity boys get ready to run out the helmet at the start of the Hondo game.

JUNIOR VARSITY
The JV Football team took on the Hondo Owls Thursday night. The Panthers came away with a dominating victory 22-6.
The Panthers scored touchdowns on runs on 10 yards and 5 yards by Nick Rash. Bobby Peterson kicked field goals of 38 and 44 yards. Other key contributors on offense were the offensive line of Noah Pena, Brandon Book, Connor Suehs, Frank Sierra, and Tim Rios. Adam Chavez added some power off the edge.

Sophomore Adam Chavez said “ During the whole game I tried the most to block to make seams for the running backs to score.”

Running backs Patrick Jass, Ethan Garza, and Josh Bazan added potent runs.
Defensively, the Panthers stymied the Owls all night. Fumbles were recovered by Layne Canada and Noah Caldwell. Arturo Gonzalez and Alex Luna lead the defense in tackles. But the entire group of defense shut the Owls down.

FRESHMAN
The Freshman football team played the rival Hondo Owls Thursday night. The Panthers jumped out to a big lead with two passing touchdowns and a rushing touchdown by quarterback Asael Moreno.

Freshman Asael Moreno said, “My mind set during the game was to have fun and be with my brothers to win the game.”

The panther D shut down the Hondo offense, led by leading tackler Jaxon Vogel, only giving up one touchdown in the first half. The second half was close but the Panthers were able to pull it out in the end with a final score of 38-22.