Go with the Flow

MVHS is arguably the best

The team poses with their awards From left to right: Amira Van Leeuwen, Serina Garcia, Briana Barclay, Miranda Mayfield, Coach Dustin Hurley,Jace MIlls, Kylee Hall, Elizabeth Gilmore, Madison Rosati. CC: Unknown

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

The MVHS Speech and Debate team scored a massive victory at their last meet on January 26 held at Hays High School. Though the numbers were small, with over half of the team absent, the Panthers did not let that hold them back. They swept the competition with each person advancing (or winning) in their individual categories and they placed first overall.  

“We learn so much about the topics and become much more well rounded in current events,”  Senior Serina Garcia said.

Junior Elizabeth Gilmore placed fifth in Informative Speaking and junior Madison Rosati got third in informative speaking. Junior Kylee Hall placed fifth in persuasive speaking. Senior Miranda Mayfield placed first in poetry. Junior Brianna Barclay and her partner senior Jace Mills placed third in CX debate. Seniors Amira Van Leewen and Serina Garcia placed first in CX debate.

“It was really nice to place above people who have beat us in the past,” Mills said. “It’s  nice seeing our hard work pay off.”

The debate team heads off to hopefully accumulate more awards Saturday, February 2.