Mary Poppins Returns

Mary Poppins Returns

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

For over a century, the tale of Mary Poppins has warmed the hearts of thousands. From the books written by P.L. Travers and the Walt Disney film, Mary Poppins has been transformed into a household tale. In late 2018, the tale reminded our hearts and minds of the wonder of Cherry Tree Lane. The sequel, Mary Poppins Returns, opened December 19th to mostly good reviews

The story takes place 20 years after the original film and is set in the midst of the British Great Depression. When Michael Banks, now all grown up, is faced with a dilemma of giving up his family home, Mary (Emily Blunt)  swoops in to care for the three motherless Banks children. In a typical Mary Poppins fashion, she takes the children on thrilling adventures with the help of Jack, an energetic lamplighter (Lin-Manuel Miranda). With visits to a topsy-turvy Russian woman (played by…) and a visit into the beloved family ceramic dish, the children use their renewed imagination to save the day in the end.

Though the movie left nothing for the eye to want visually, there seemed to be something lacking. The pacing seemed to be very choppy with no solid flow.

‘The  music was good but nowhere near as memorable as the first movie. You don’t leave hummin Nowhere To go But Up the same way you do Let’s Fly a Kite.”  Advisor Caitlyn Schmidt says.

“The movie was pretty good but it wasn’t really my thing,” sophomore Katharine Rodriguez said. “It was a fun time.”

Whether your a fan of the movies or not, there is one undeniable truth: its a sugar rush of a movie!