So Long 41

In Loving Memory Of George H. W. Bush.

So Long 41

Dominick Cooper, Staff Writer

Born June 12, 1924, in Milton, Massachusetts, George Herbert Walker Bush was the 41st president of the United States from 1989 to 1993. He was also the 43rd Vice-President from 1981 to 1989. Let’s go back to the beginning.
Beginning in 1938, George attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. There he held the title of Senior class president, secretary of the student council, captain of both the varsity baseball team and the soccer team, and was on the editorial board of the school newspaper.
Bush enlisted in the U.S. Navy on his 18th birthday. He would become one of the youngest aviators in the U.S. Navy. He served until September of 1945, and then attended Yale University, where he graduated in 1948.
After graduating from Yale, he moved his family to West Texas where he became an oil field equipment salesman. In 1951 he created the Bush-Overbey Oil Development company, and then would later co-found the Zapata Petroleum Corporation in 1953.
In 1963, George’s political career took off when he was elected chairman of Harris County in Texas. In 1966 he was elected to be in the House of Representatives. In 1970, Bush gave up his seat in the House to run for Senate, in which he lost. Continuing from this loss, Nixon appointed Bush to the position of United States Ambassador to the United Nations from 1971-1973. In 1976, Bush became the Director of Central Intelligence and served in this position for a little less than a year.
Bush then decided to run for President in 1980 but was defeated by Ronald Reagan for the front-running Republican position. Reagan would then decide to have Bush as his Vice-President during both his terms as president. Then, he ran for the presidency again for the 1989 office, and won! He served in office from 1989-1993.
His death is affecting several here around campus. Whether they be students or teachers.
“I honestly heard about it through a meme,” said sophomore Henry Nino. “I was shocked, so I had to look it up. I feel sad that we lost such an influential man. We are losing our older generations, and thus a part of our history.”
“I heard about it from a couple of other debate coaches,” said Mr. Hurley. “It’s for sure sad for the country. We lost someone from the strongest generation that America has had. He was probably the best single term president we’ve had.”
George Herbert Walker Bush was such an inspiration to millions of people across the globe. He will forever be remembered as one of the greats. Rest in peace.