Scoring Our Way To Victory

The Lady Panthers first tournament

The+Panthers+pose+after+placing+second+in+the+tournament.+

The Panthers pose after placing second in the tournament.

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

The Medina Valley Girls Basketball team competed in the Harlandale Basketball Tournament last Thursday, Friday and Saturday, playing a total of 6 games in 3 days. The Panthers opened up pool play against Sam Houston, struggling to a loss 49-52. The girls did not let that get to them however and followed up with a victory against Eagle Pass Winn with an astonishing score of 54-9. “I Think the team could get better at communication on court,’ said post, sophomore Katelyn Burris.

Bracket play then began on Friday with the girls opening against Burbank and winning with a score of 61-50. The girls followed that win with yet another victory in the quarterfinals versus Roosevelt with a score of 38-32. The girls then advanced to the semifinals Saturday morning and faced a team of seemingly underdogs in McCollum. After securing yet another victory, 39-29, the Panthers moved on to the Championship game which was a rematch against Sam Houston. The girls started out strong with a 26-18 lead at halftime. After a very tough third quarter, the girls found themselves down but still kept persisting. The girls worked hard into overtime but eventually lost with a score of 53-57.

The girls remained strong and unified and placed 2nd in the entire Tournament. Paityn Kinnett, Ileana Morales, and Michayla Chaffin were named to the all-tournament team. It was an amazing start to the season and the girls will continue on, playing in La Vernia Thursday, November 15. “The goal is playoffs,” says Kaitlyn, “and 1st in district!” There is no doubt that the Lady Panthers will continue strong! Go Panthers!