‘Love Dies In This Hallway’

Medina Valley Combats PDA Epidemic

Mrs. Torres created this eye-catching sign to share the love…or lack thereof

‘Love Dies In This Hallway’

Medina Valley Combats PDA Epidemic

By: The Prowler Staff

New signs adorn the 100/200 cross hall in the main building condemning use of public displays of affection (PDA). With messages like “love dies in the hallway” and “relax, you’ll see her next period,” the feeling of frustration among students and staff is hard to miss. Many staff members are fed up with having to “break it up” class after class, day after day.

“The ‘Love Dies in this Hallway’ art project prepares the current high school couples for the inevitable breakup that they’re about to face,”  senior Serina Garcia said.

“Kissing is gross,” Mrs. Torres, art teacher, said, but relents “hugging is okay.” This clarification was covered in the first week of school. The handbook defines the policy as the following: “Public display of affection on school grounds, in the building, or during school sponsored activities is considered an inappropriate action.” That means to keep it clean at football games too…just saying!

“As a freshman, I don’t want to see that,” Freshman Kadence Griffin said. “You are being a bad example to us newbies so just stop.” This is an excellent point, as many of the offenders tend to be in the upper grade levels.

“There is a time and place for everything; [for PDA it is] not school,” Torres said. She currently has a list of repeat offenders and has been filing referrals for violating the student handbook, which states “Any displays of affection deemed inappropriate by MVHS staff will result in disciplinary action.”

The Couples’ Graveyard touts the idea that love is dead here

“The PDA rules help prevent the spread of communicable diseases, like mono, spread through the sharing of saliva,” Mr. Perritano, Physics and Engineering teacher, said. “This means love literally spreads disease.” Therefore, it is in the best interest of student health that the teachers and staff are breaking up the coupling spreading throughout the halls.

Besides the obvious adult aversion to seeing this behavior in the hallways, the smoochers’ classmates also have a few opinions to share.

“When I turn the corner, I do not want to run into y’alls lovey-dovey-mushy-wushy- microbe-transmitting smooch fest,” freshman Aya Kasim said. “The hallways are not your personal love shack. PLEASE, MOVE.”

“Do you not find it embarrassing to have the whole school watch while you [make out] in the hallways?” senior Erik Peña said.

“Why make yourself such a huge spectacle for everyone to see?” sophomore Mackenzie Noakes said.

“You’ve got to leave room for Jesus,” sophomore Dominick Cooper said. “That’s what my mom always says.”

“I think it is inappropriate for teens to be kissing and hugging,” sophomore Justice Love said. “It’s disgusting to see it.” 

“No one cares how much y’all love each other,” junior Gabby McNelly said. “You all will be back together soon.”

A reminder that anyone can survive the 49 minute separation.

“School is not the place to do it,” senior Derrick Moreno said.

“Find something to do other than kiss all the time,” junior Melanie Salazar said. “Try having conversations, those are super fun too!”

“Please keep all us single pringles in mind, making out in the hallways with all the slobber and unnecessary sounds just reminds all us ‘singles’ of how alone we are,” sophomore Salexis Zertuche said. “It puts us in a real sad mood, so please keep other’s feelings in consideration.”

In short, at the request of your peers and superiors, keep your hands and tongues to yourself whilst on campus. You really do not want to include the whole school in your business and the rest of us do not want you to air your business in the halls. Thank you.