Here We Go Again!

*spoiler free*

PC%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenational.ae%2Farts-culture%2Ffilm%2Fmamma-mia-2-stars-on-why-the-sequel-needed-to-happen-1.751733

PC: https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/mamma-mia-2-stars-on-why-the-sequel-needed-to-happen-1.751733

Mackenzie Noakes, Staff Writer

Since 2008, Mamma Mia has been synonymous with fun, friendship and motherly love. The movie made everyone laugh, cry and get up and dance. The second movie, which came out July 20, was no exception.Though the filming location was different, the magic of the fictional Kalokairi island transported the viewers to a world of ABBA and A list actors. The movie takes a page out of The Godfather II’s book and takes on the task of telling two stories, set in different time periods, and merging them together to create a heartwarming tale.

The movie follows the story of a young Donna Sheridan (Meryl Streep, Lily James) as she embarks on the adventure of a lifetime.The 70s fashion and aesthetic make you feel nostalgic for a time when not many of the movie goers were alive. She travels from Oxford, to Paris, then finally, Greece on a search to find who she is . Along the way she meets the awkwardly endearing Harry (Colin Firth, Hugh Skinner), the flirty Bill (Stellan Skarsgard, Josh Dylan) and the heartbreakingly engaged Sam (Pierce Brosnan, Jeremy Irvine). The love stories were all very cute in their own ways and it made you root for each guy to get the girl. Even if it was only for a brief two seconds.

The story of young Donna parallels her daughter, Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), in the present reopening the hotel that was the haven for her and her mother in the first movie. The movie seamlessly transitions between the two stories with Sophie facing many of the same challenges her mother had (from thunderstorms to motherhood).

The music in the movie was all by the 70s swedish pop quartet, ABBA, whom gave their blessing for both movies. All the actors in the movie were simultaneously thrilled and a little bit intimidated to take on the great hits. In an interview with Jimmy Fallon, star Lily James said  “I saw it (the musical) like ten times [in London]. I would sing it in the house all the time and my brothers would hate it and tell me to shut up,”. Clearly the songs were already in these actors minds and it seemed like a piece of cake from the audience.

The cast was full of the familiar faces from the first film but there were many newcomers who lived up to the expectations set by their older counterparts. Even pop icon Cher made an appearance as Donna’s estranged mother.The director was different but Ol PArker, the new director, took the movie in stride.  Though the plot has some holes and the timeline does not quite add up to the original film, you find yourself disregarding that in favor of what the movie is: a fun time.

The movie was all around very good (Rotten Tomatoes agreed with a score of 85%) and most students at MVHS seem to also agree. Whether you are going with your family or friends, you will (to quote the movie) ‘have the time of your life!’